Friday, July 20, 2007

A little history

I needed a car for work. I commute 100 miles a day and then do field service visits all over California. I wanted something with good fuel economy that could compensate for my truck. I purchased my 92 Geo Metro from a guy in San Jose for $600. Found it on Craig's list listed for $1200. It was a bit beat up. It looked like it was in the middle of a soup sandwich on the freeway, the front and rear bumpers knocked out of alignment and the hood had been bashed. I drove it around the block and told the guy it needed a new CV joint, the 2nd gear synchronizer was going out, and it wouldn't pass smog as it was. $600? he asked and away it went. I drove it 150 mile home with no issues. I probably spent another $400 on it rebuilding the engine and replacing worn out parts, but it has been a very good investment. I get 48.5 cents per mile when I use it for work and I average 44 mpg. It earns it keep.