Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What I've got that others don't...

Ported and Polished intake, head and exhaust manifold.
When I rebuilt the engine, I couldn't see not spending a little extra time on this great little engine. I ported the exhaust manifold rather than making a long tube header because it has to pass California smog, and I have not been able to find a C.A.R.B. legal after market header. I also replaced the exhaust with 2" tubing and resonance chambers to relieve back pressure and let it open up. This dropped a little bit of the low end power, but with the other work, it really screams at the upper R.P.M.s.
I run about 70 mph when there is no traffic, and with the stock tires, I average 44.8 mpg on Chevron Supreme 91 octane. I actually tracked my mileage over 4000 miles. Best economy was 53 mpg, worst was 38. I did not factor in the one time I got bad gas and only got 15 mpg. in an 8 gallon tank, that didn't last long anyway.
I also replaced the rear springs with a set from a 4 door hatchback. This gave me a little more weight capacity, and a firmer ride when the back is empty.
I have been debating an attempt at water injection, or finding a legal way to add a turbo.
My goal is to get 100hp from the little 3 cylinder.

No comments: